Monday, June 6, 2011

If only the most successful people take risks...

The feeling of knowing I'm about to consciously change my life's direction has empowered me with a devil-may-care, like-it-or-fuck-off kind of attitude.

Suddenly now that I know what I'm going to do and the pieces are falling into place, I just want to leap forward and make it so. My all-consuming thought lately has been about working for myself. I'm just so ready.

I'm going to work for myself.
I'm going to homeschool my daughter.
I'm going to pursue my artistic interests and creativity.
And I'm going to be damn successful.

Why, I wondered, should I let something as relatively minor as health insurance stand in the way? I'll just manifest the income or the opportunity. Have I not proven to myself over and over that life takes the shape of whatever I put my mind to? I'm so passionately certain it's not a problem, I'm not going to let anything hold me back from achieving success on my own.

I don't need a company, and when I think about it, no company needs ME. Maybe it's generational, or maybe it's the reality of watching so many good people get laid off these past few years, but I'm pretty sure anyone's expendable these days.

And, do I really want to work in an office when I could be doing the exact same thing for myself? There are so many ways to make money, and so many ideas I want to pursue.

If I wanted to go for a morning run, answer emails in my pajamas, or sit and type all day in a coffee shop, there's no one but myself to stop me. That kind of freedom is beautiful. I struggle to see a real downside to the plan, minus the obvious: a steady paycheck and employer-sponsored benefits. But if people before me have done it, why would I hold myself back from doing it too? The rewards (financial and otherwise) stand to be a lot greater.

I heard a quote this weekend, that only the most successful people take risks. Well, I'm stepping up to the line and declaring it: I'm ready to be one of those people. I'm so ready to go. So ready to make it happen.

No comments: